Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Life as we know it...

You may wonder why I say that I'm a "Mama to a Miracle"?? Well he truly is a Miracle, even from the very beginning... I got pregnant with him the very next month after a miscarriage, the doctor told me that it probably wouldn't happen right after. Well God had other plans!
My pregnancy with him went very well, although I had to take Progesterone for most of my pregnancy and other than having shingles around 16 weeks, it was very uneventful. UNTIL- He arrived!
My water broke at 6:50p on my Husband's birthday but Jeremiah was determined he didn't want to come out. After, being in labor for several hours, and not progressing past 1cm with very strong contrations, Jeremiah's heart-rate started dropping around 4:00a. My doctor came in at 7:00a that morning and I was told that I needed an urgent c-section. Jeremiah was delivered by c-section at 9:03a, he was PERFECT and GORGEOUS, other than the horrible bruises on the side of his face and head. The doctor had a hard time getting him out and unfortunately, had to use forceps to assist because he was stuck.
We didn't know at the time, but the doctors were monitoring his head size because of the brusing. Later that night, Jeremiah's doctor came in to tell us that he was going to be sent for a CT of his head. Unfortunately we didn't get good news, but it brings us to where we are today.
Jeremiah suffered a grade 3 brain bleed, which inturn caused Hydrocephalus (which means: fluid accumulates in the brain, enlarging the head and sometimes causing brain damage) and Periventricular Leukomalacia(PVL) (which means: death of white matter near the cerebral ventricles due to damage and softening of the brain tissue). He has a VP shunt which drains the fluid from his brain to his belly.
He had his first shunt placed at 2 weeks old, developed an infection at 5 weeks, which caused meningitis and was hospitalized Nov 25th and had to have his shunt removed and an External Ventricular Drain(EVD) (which means: a device somewhat similar to a shunt, functioning on the outside of the body OR my definition- A NIGHTMARE!). He had his second shunt placed on Dec 21st and has been doing amazing ever since.
He is behind developmentally but he WILL get there. He receives Play, Occupational, and Physical therapy weekly and Vision therapy twice a month.

I'm basically making this blog to keep myself sane. I am blessed to be on this journey with him. He has changed my life from the moment God chose me to be his Mama.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you started this blog! It will be fun to keep up with his story this way. Hugs and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete